Scamp can't find lilypond

This is the output of my code

Is there a way to manually set the path of lilypond
I currently have it at “C:\Program Files (x86)\lilypond-2.24.0\bin\lilypond.exe”

Hi Jamo,

There is a bug from the last update! I forgot that it would be “lilypond.exe” on windows, rather than just “lilypond”. I’ll fix it soon.

In the meantime, try running this once:

from scamp import engraving_settings
engraving_settings.lilypond_dir = r"C:\Program Files (x86)\lilypond-2.24.0\bin"
engraving_settings.make_persistent()
1 Like

I think I fixed it now. Try updating scamp and see if that fixes it.

1 Like

I Updated it, ran the script,played some music and it worked, but it said it was still searching after i had run the script once

Output:

Using preset Piano Merlin for piano
fluidsynth: error: no MIDI in devices found
WARNING:root:Searching for LilyPond binary (this may take a while and is normal on first run)
WARNING:root:LilyPond binary found at C:\Program Files (x86)\lilypond-2.24.0\bin
WARNING:root:Searching for LilyPond binary (this may take a while and is normal on first run)
WARNING:root:LilyPond binary found at C:\Program Files (x86)\lilypond-2.24.0\bin
GNU LilyPond 2.24.0 (running Guile 2.2)
Changing working directory to: `C:/Users/james/AppData/Local/Temp/tmp1ub9rexb'
Processing `C:/Users/james/AppData/Local/Temp/tmp1ub9rexb/2023-01-24T16-49-56-710856-193eaaf.ly'
Parsing...
programming error: file name not normalized: C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\SCAMP\scamp_lilypond_template.ly
continuing, cross fingers
C:/Users/james/AppData/Local/Temp/tmp1ub9rexb/2023-01-24T16-49-56-710856-193eaaf.ly:4:10: error: cannot find file: `C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\SCAMP\scamp_lilypond_template.ly'
(search path: `C:/Users/james/AppData/Local/Temp/tmp1ub9rexb;C:\scripts;C:/Program Files (x86)/lilypond-2.24.0/share/lilypond/2.24.0/ly;C:/Program Files (x86)/lilypond-2.24.0/share/lilypond/2.24.0/ps;C:/Program Files (x86)/lilypond-2.24.0/share/lilypond/2.24.0/scm;C:/Program Files (x86)/lilypond-2.24.0/share/lilypond/2.24.0/fonts/otf/;C:/Program Files (x86)/lilypond-2.24.0/share/lilypond/2.24.0/fonts/svg/;')
\include
         "C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\SCAMP\scamp_lilypond_template.ly"
Interpreting music...
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Finding the ideal number of pages...
Fitting music on 1 page...
Drawing systems...
Converting to `2023-01-24T16-49-56-710856-193eaaf.pdf'...
fatal error: failed files: "C:\\Users\\james\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\tmp1ub9rexb\\2023-01-24T16-49-56-710856-193eaaf.ly"```

Hi Marc
…first of all thanks for this amazing program you created
I have the same issue. I followed the setup on your website yesterday. I am using windows 11 on a new PC…
also to note is that on the lilypond download of the latest version, the lilypond-2.24.0-mingw-x86_64.zip) fiile does not have a .exe But following their installation using frescobaldi 3.2 it worked fine
I uninstalled frescobaldi incase it was causing conflict with scamp
To get a .exe file to install I went to the page with their older downloads. I tried
2.20.0-1.mingw.exe which installed but had the error in scamp… so I uninstalled and tried 2.23.6-1.mingw.exe which also did not work (see screen shot below) - I adapted the code as you advised above

Thanks for any help
claud

Apologies everyone! I think I fixed it, and I’ll try to publish it tomorrow.

I think I fixed it. Try updating SCAMP and following the (updated) instructions here: Easy Setup for New Python Users — scamp 0.9.1.post9 documentation

Let me know how it goes!

1 Like

hello
thanks
I am on windows 11
I updated scamp to 0.9.1
then i downloaded the lilypond-2.24.0 and extracted it. I placed the extracted folder into the programFiles(x86)
still no success…
So I then removed this file from programFiles(x86) and installed an older version I downloaded and it is also the same error
is this a widows 11 issue or am I missing something my end?

thanks

Looks like Scamp is finding LilyPond at least. Can you open the bin folder inside of the LilyPond folder and try manually opening lilypond.exe? Does that work?

hi
i doubled clicked but there was a screen(like a console) that appeared for less than a second.
few days ago I followed how to instal lilyond from their website which included frescobaldi and that did work. I have also installed scamp on my partner’s laptop on windows10 and everything works fine…below is a screenshot highlighting which file I clicked on(as I couldnt see any specific .exe on my download)…the older downloads from lilypond website are.exe

Oh, strange. I only tested it on windows 10, so maybe it is a windows 11 thing. Maybe I’ll see if I can test it on a Windows 11 machine.

By the way, you should still be able to call .to_lilypond() or .export_lilypond("desired/file/path.ly") to create the lilypond file, which you could load in frescobaldi.

Also, you can always do show_xml() or export_music_xml() if you want a score you can open in a program like MuseScore or Sibelius.

1 Like

thanks very much…will take that into consideration

I installed scamp yesterday and LilyPond today (12/13/2023) and scamp couldn’t find lilypond.exe even after several tries. I fixed the problem by hard-coding the lilypond_path in the abjad.cfg file.

Lilypond executable path. Set to override dynamic lookup.

lilypond_path = “C:\Program Files (x86)\lilypond-2.24.3\bin\lilypond.exe”