Problem with install on Windows

Dear Marc,
i want to use scamp to study Python with my childrens but my son try to install it on windows and he get this message when trying to install Abjad from Thony:

ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: python setup.py egg_info Check the logs for full command output.

Process returned with code 1

Thanks for help !

Stéphane

Hi Stephane,

It’s a little hard to tell from what you copied here, but I guess the first thing to say is that if you’re just planning on playing music and don’t need to create notation, you don’t need to install abjad. SCAMP should work just fine without it.

If you do need abjad, we’d need to investigate what the real error is when you try to install it. Not sure if this works on windows, but try going to “Tools > Open System Shell” and then typing in pip install abjad==3.4. If there’s an error, copy the whole thing that it prints out and paste it here, and maybe we can figure out what’s going on!

(By the way, I see that abjad just came out with version 3.5, so it could be that there’s some issue with that. SCAMP is built to work with version 3.4, so the pip command above targets that version.)

Just checked and it looks like the most recent version of abjad (3.5) requires python 3.10, which is a pretty new version. So that might be the issue?