Nice sonification of OEIS sequences

As you might know the OEIS (Online Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences) has many integer sequences such as the prime numbers, triangular numbers, digits of pi etc.

I have written a script to sonify those sequences:

In the readme is described how to sonify your favourite OEIS sequence. :slight_smile:
Feedback on this, would be very nice.

Neat! Do you have any sound examples of particularly good sequences you could share?

Thanks Marc,

Yes, I did one with the decimal digits of Pi:

https://musescore.com/user/37663311/scores/7417640

I derived three voices from this sequence. One for Cello and two for Pinao, using different start-note-values and slight different configurations. Then I merged those voices in MuseScore.

How cool! I’m curious: the accidentals really stand out nicely against the very diatonic rest of the piece. How did the Ebs and G#s come about?

Thanks Marc, I use a similarity function to measure how simple / nicely following notes sound, which is based on simple ratios such as 3/2, 2/1 etc. Having defined such a similarity measure, I use the n-nearest neighbors algorithm to draw nearby, nice sounding notes. n is determined by the digits of pi, so in order to answer your question, I would have to reverse engineer this process… :wink: I hope this answers the question a little bit.

Hello,

I like the sonifications! I am trying to get your code running on an M1 Mac and running into a problem where scipy (I think) wants to load a fortran library and can’t find one.

I installed it from here but still got the same error.

Do you have any ideas on this? I’m guessing you ran this on a Linux machine so maybe not…
I might try to do the same…

Thanks

Thanks, You have to install the sagemath package with your linux package manager and probably some additional python modules with pip install. I have done this only on linux and can not say if it will work on Mac.

Yes, I got it to work on Linux. Thanks.

1 Like