Hello / saving to mp3 file

Hello everyone, This is my first post and I would like to introduce myself. I started accidentaly to program one month or so ago in python/midiutils and have tried also python / mingus. A few people told me independently about SCAMP, so I wanted to give it a try. By training I am not a musician, but I try to learn as a hobby.

I have two questions about this topic:

1. On Linux / Debian I get the correct sound, but how do I write this in an mp3 file?
  2. The pdf does not get created. I installed abjad and lilypond (python-ly plus the debian package and from mingus lilypond works) but I get the error:

File “isoplay.py”, line 156, in
performance.to_score(composer = “matt schumaker”, title = “iso”).show()
File “/home/xxx/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/scamp/score.py”, line 642, in show
abjad().show(self.to_abjad_lilypond_file())
File “/home/xxx/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/scamp/score.py”, line 575, in to_abjad_lilypond_file
lilypond_code = abjad().lilypond(abjad_object)
AttributeError: module ‘abjad’ has no attribute ‘lilypond’

Any idea how to resolve this?

Edit:
The second question could be resolved using abjad==3.2 as described here:

Glad you found the solution to your first problem! As for the mp3 file, as far as the built-in soundfont playback with SCAMP is concerned, I haven’t yet implemented this. It’s definitely on my list of things to implement as I approach version 1.0, since I know it’s useful to many people.

The reason it wasn’t a top priority is that the main role of the soundfont playback is for prototyping, getting a sense of what a piece would sound like as you work on it. For actually creating a recording, you’re usually going to better results using new_midi_part() to route the MIDI to a digital audio workstation or external program.

Also, you can record the soundfont playback with a little effort, by routing sound playback in your computer. See:

1 Like

Thanks MarcEvanstein for your response. I find Scampster very cool, but it would be nice to have a midi output in file if that is possible (or mp3). Also do not hurry :wink: to continue the great work you have done!

Definitely! Saving to MIDI is probably an easier and sooner priority; saving to mp3 will require some restructuring behind the scenes, but is definitely on my list!